In the months since the release of the inReach two-way satellite communicator DeLorme has compiled a list of helpful notes for inReach users. I wanted to share these Tips & Tricks with everyone here. Check out the videos for more detail and feel free to request additional content, we’ll be making more videos as we go forward.
- Be sure to set up your contacts, Quick Text messages, and inReach messages before going on your first trip.
- Don’t forget to sync your explore.delorme.com account after you make any changes to your contacts, Quick Text messages, or inReach messages. Earthmate app: Go to Menu > Sync to sync your device with explore.delorme.com. PN-60w: Click the Sync PN-60w button on explore.delorme.com.
- Be sure to send a MapShare link to friends before you start your trip so that they can see your location and send you a message from their computer while you’re on your trip.
- Use the inReach to send friends and family a text or email message-they can reply to you while you’re out.
- To enter pairing mode, make sure that you press and hold the Power button on the inReach until the LED changes from solid green to flashing green every 1.5 seconds and then release it. Then follow the instructions on the screen of your Android device or PN-60w.
- If you’re having trouble pairing an Android device, use the device’s Bluetooth settings to discover the inReach and connect to it, rather than doing it from within the Earthmate app.
- Test your device after completing the setup and pairing process by sending a message and replying to it. Visit support.delorme.com before your trip if you have any questions about using the device.
- To power on an inReach, press and hold the Power button and release it as soon as the Power LED comes on. The LED will flash once every 3 seconds during normal operation. If you hold the Power button down until the LED starts flashing every 1.5 seconds you have entered pairing mode and need to pair your device again.
- When you start a trip, send a message or start tracking when you park your vehicle so that your family and friends know where you started. It also gives you a reference point to find your way back and lets you know your system is working.
- Keep an eye on the status fields in the Earthmate app telling you if your inReach is unavailable, connected, or sending.
- To increase battery performance when using your Android device, exit the Earthmate app when you are not sending a message.
- For best battery performance when you are using the inReach in standalone mode, clear the pairing info from the inReach. To do this, enter pairing mode by holding down the Power button until the Power LED starts flashing every 1.5 seconds and then release it. When no other devices are detected your existing pairing info is cleared, preventing the inReach from continuing to search for a device. You will need to unpair your PN-60w or Android device from the inReach and then pair again to use the devices together.