DeLorme inReach: Question and Answer…
We’ve had a great response to our blog post announcing the DeLorme inReach. I’ve been trying to answer all the questions in the comments area but thought I’d organize those responses so that readers don’t need to sort through such a long list of exchanges. Thank you all for your questions, please read through the information in this follow-up post and feel free to comment with any additional questions you might have!
Sales related information…
- The inReach is scheduled for release to retail in October, selling for around $250.
- There will be three tracking and messaging plans starting with the Safety Plan for $9.95 per month. Additional Recreation and Pro plans increase in price and deliver larger volumes of tracking and messaging units.
- All plans require a one year contract. Users will be able to move between the plans to accommodate changes in use. Recreation Plan users in the summer could drop back to the Safety Plan in the winter to reduce their monthly subscription fee.
- “Pay as you go” options are available for users that prefer the low monthly cost of the Safety Plan and the ability to pay for any tracking or messaging units that go over the monthly allocation for the Safety Plan.
- I will not be able to share more details on plan pricing or tracking and messaging units until all of the billing details have been finalized. As soon as they are square I’ll share them here.
Physical attributes of the device…
- Device dimensions are as follows: height: 3.36 inches not including antenna, 4.78 inches including antenna, width: 2.85 inches, depth: 1.73 inches.
- The device meets IPX7 waterproofing standards and it floats. It will have a lanyard attachment point just in case you try to drop it overboard.
- The SOS locking mechanism was designed to comply with the RTCM SC-128 standard for SENDs supporting one handed, gloved operation.
- We are supporting alkaline, lithium, and NiMH AA batteries although we recommend the Energizer eLithium batteries for longest performance.
- Additional battery testing is underway but early results have shown the ability to send messages for up to seven days, very good results for search and rescue.
- The inReach has been designed for optional battery pack and external power configurations should the market show interest in that kind of accessory.
- The inReach will report speed, heading, and elevation with each track or message that it transmits allowing message recipients and website viewers to learn more about users’ movements then just what is described in the message text.
- inReach users will be able to send/receive messages to/from other inReach users anywhere in the world. Send a message telling your hunting partner that it’s time to head home even when you are many miles away from each other.
- Tracking intervals can go as high as a message every 2 minutes and as low as a message every 4 hours.
Operating system support…
- Initial hardware and software development has been for the PN-60w and Android operating systems however we are very interested in other platforms like iOS, Windows Phone 7, and Blackberry.
- DeLorme has not taken an anti-Apple position, being a smaller company we’ve needed to focus our development efforts on a single platform for our initial release.
- We are capturing all of the feedback from users commenting on this blog and in our forums to build the business cases for where we will go from here.
Android application details…
- The Android application will be available for free through the Google Marketplace.
- Users who purchase the inReach device will receive the current DeLorme Topographic maps for free.
- Android application downloaders will be able to purchase the DeLorme Topographic download by region at a low cost and get the same high detail data used on the DeLorme Earthmate PN-series devices.
- We are working to bring the same additional map types found in our DeLorme Map Library to the Android application, stay tuned for more details as that effort progresses.
- We also hope to bring the DeLorme world map and world aerial imagery to the Android application as they are currently available on the PN-series devices.
- The Earthmate PN-60w will support the inReach device allowing two-way communications in addition to all the standard PN-series features.
- A firmware update supporting the new inReach functionality will be made available at the time of the inReach launch.
DeLorme inReach news and other announcements…
- Updates about the inReach product will appear on the DeLorme Blog as we move through the development cycle and approach our release date.
- Subscribe to the DeLorme Blog or DeLorme Twitter feed to get notifications when new information is made available.
Again, thank you all for your great feedback on the new DeLorme inReach. We’ll be processing all the comments and incorporating your ideas into the final product as we work our way through the development process. Stay tuned for more details as the project unfolds!